Excellence in Experiential Learning Scholar Awards
The Excellence in Experiential Learning (ExcEL) Scholar Awards are scholarships available to undergraduate students who want to study abroad or pursue a project outside of the classroom to further their education, such as:
- Volunteering/community-based learning
- Funding an internship
- Conducting independent research
- Studying abroad
- Pursuing a creative or entrepreneurial project
It often takes additional finances for a student to pursue an out-of-classroom experience. Dominican University has designed the ExcEL Scholar Awards to reduce the burden of tuition payments, thus making these experiences that much more possible. Each academic year, $50,000 in awards are made available, and individual students can apply for an award of up to $2,000, during the fall or spring term.
Award Cycles and Eligibility
Students will be notified via email each fall and spring, of the upcoming ExcEL Scholar Awards cycle and application deadline. Applicants should read through all of the eligibility requirements prior to applying.
In order to be considered for this award, students must:
- Be an undergraduate student pursuing their first bachelor’s degree
- Have earned at least 45 credits towards their degree (15 credits must have been completed at DU)
- Have a GPA that meets the requirements of the experience they are pursuing
- Have shared their proposal with a faculty sponsor who will endorse them
- Have identified an experience that will take place prior to their graduation.
- Have identified an experience that will take place during the eligible timeline:
- In Fall 2023: applicants may apply for awards to support experiences taking place between January and December of 2024
- In Spring 2024: applicants may apply for awards to support experiences taking place between May of 2024 and May of 2025
- In Summer 2024: applicants may apply for awards to support experiences taking place between May and September of 2024
Criteria and Priorities
ExcEL Scholar award applications include an essay and budget for the experience a student wishes to pursue. Applications will be evaluated based on how well they:
- Present meaningful connections between the experience they are pursuing the future path they envision for themselves
- Present their learning goals through the experience
- Present a realistic budget that illustrates how the ExcEL award will help any financial gaps, including what they will pay out of pocket.
The financial need of students, verified through the Office of Financial Aid, will also be taken into consideration by the Award Designation Committee. Preference will be given to applicants who have not yet received an ExcEL Scholar Award.
To Learn More and Apply
The Fall ExcEL Award application cycle opens Wednesday, September 20 and the deadline to apply is Friday, October 20. To apply, please auto-enroll on the Canvas application site.
The Spring ExcEL Award application cycle opens Friday, February 2 and the deadline to apply is Friday, March 1. To apply, please auto-enroll on the Canvas application site.
The Summer ExcEL Award application cycle opens Friday, April 14. The deadline is a rolling one until funds are exhausted but those who apply by Friday, May 5 will receive first review. To apply, please auto-enroll on the Canvas application site.