Career Programs and Employer Relations
Here, you’ll find equitable, curriculum-based career development initiatives designed to help you leverage your strengths, present yourself professionally and launch your career.
One-on-one career mentoring
Our hallmark Executives and Experts in Residence program connects students with top industry leaders for personalized advising. These professionals have previously held executive-level appointments, positioning them as true experts in their industries.
You’ll be paired with a pioneer from the career path you’re interested in to:
- Develop a resume and cover letter that shows off your experience and skills
- Plan job search and interview strategies
- Understand the skills and abilities required to succeed in different industries
- Navigate career-related challenges
Learn on-the-job skills—not after graduation, now.
Experiential learning is a cornerstone of Dominican University. As a student at Dominican, you’ll acquire unique skills through hands-on learning—and put them to work in the classroom and beyond.
We also encourage students to complete at least one internship opportunity during their time here. The Office of Career Programs and Employer Relations provides a variety of resources to help students find internships, from access to job boards to direct connections with employers in the area.
We even offer micro-internships, or short-term, paid, professional assignments that are similar to those given to new hires. These projects enable you to demonstrate skills, explore career paths, and build your network.
Make real-world connections
It’s no secret networking is a key to finding jobs. And at Dominican, you’ll have countless opportunities to attend professional events and gain exposure to a wide variety of companies.
The Chicago area’s top employers regularly visit campus to find talent. Some of them are even Dominican alums. How’s that for an inside connection?
Participate in mock interview events, join us for job fairs, visit with prospective employers virtually, participate in elevator-pitch presentations to panels of employer partners and much more.
Find the support resources you need
Charting your professional course is no easy task. That’s why we’re here to help you every step of the way. As a student at Dominican, you’ll find programs to help you succeed.
- We use Handshake to help you discover part- and full-time jobs, internships and everything in between. Used by more than 200,000 employers, Handshake helps you take the next step toward building a great career.
- Our on-demand headshot service is available for all students to ensure they have a professional presence on key networking platforms, such as LinkedIn.
- Our Suit Up program offers gently used suits and professional clothing items for students who are in need of professional attire for networking events, interviews or professional meetings.