Skip to main content

Every non-immigrant entering the U.S. on a student or EV visa (F, J) will have a Form I-94 Arrival/Departure Record created by the Department of Homeland Security upon entry. This record confirms that you have been legally admitted to the U.S. in a specific visa status, and for a duration of time. For F and J visa holders, the amount of time is indicated by the notation “D/S,” which means you can be in the U.S. for the “Duration of Status” of your student or scholar program.

How to Get an I-94 Record

A new I-94 record is created (except in some cases when re-entering from an adjacent country) each time you enter the U.S.

The I-94 record is created online; no document is issued on the spot. It is your responsibility to look up your I-94 record after entering the U.S. As soon as you have returned from international travel and have access to a computer, look up your I-94 record to make sure there are no errors.

I-94 Travel Records for U.S. Visitors

Problems Locating Your I-94 Record

If you cannot locate your I-94 record in the online system, please contact the DSO at Dominican University. Be prepared to provide the date you arrived in the U.S., the airport you landed in, and a copy of the passport which you used to enter the U.S.

For Each New Entry into the U.S.

Remember to download and print a new I-94 record each time you exit and return to the U.S. Keep the most current printed I-94 record with your passport for your own records. State and federal government agencies will ask to see the I-94 record (for driver’s license, social security number, etc). The I-94 record is your only evidence that you are in the U.S. legally, so it is important to keep a printout with your passport at all times.

You may obtain your most recent I-94 card here and you should print a new I-94 after each entry or re-entry into the United States.

Dominican University Permission to Access I-94 (pdf opens in a new window)