Skip to main content

Please note: This section deals with transferring your SEVIS record and is not to be confused with transferring your academic record. For information on transferring credits from another university to Dominican University, please consult with your admissions counselor or your academic advisor.


You must be accepted at Dominican University and have on file the proper financial document and passport copies. It is very important that you follow exactly the procedures for changing schools to ensure that you remain in status while changing from one school (English Language School, university, high school) to another. Timing is very important.

  • The start date at Dominican University must be within five (5) months of your completion date or five (5) months of your “transfer out” date, whichever is earlier. Usually this means five (5) months from the completion date of your previous program. You must always begin your studies at Dominican University at the next possible term.
  • You must be currently in valid F-1 status and your SEVIS record at the prior school must be “active.” Dominican University does not accept out-of-status students and will not assist in reinstatement.
  • If you have completed a program or if your OPT has ended, you must complete the transfer during the 60 day grace period.

If you are eligible for a SEVIS transfer, you will receive a scanned copy of the Transfer Verification form.  You should scan this document, along with your acceptance letter from Dominican University, to the DSO at your current school. That person will complete the T/V form and return it to the DSO here. The T/V form will include the date of transfer from the previous school. Many  schools and universities require that other documents be completed—always follow the guidance of your transfer-out school.


Once your SEVIS record has been transferred, the DSO at Dominican University will issue you a “transfer pending” I-20. If you plan to travel outside of the U.S. during the period between schools, you must return on DU’s I-20. Do not return on the previous school's I-20, even if appears to be valid.


If your current F-1 visa is valid, you do not need to get a new visa for Dominican University. You can use the valid visa until such time as it expire, even though there is another school’s name on the visa..


It is recommended that you not depart the U.S. without the transfer pending I-20.  However, if you do, the university will scan you the new transfer I-20.


You may also remain in the U.S. between the completion of one program and the start of the new program within the time range stated above.


For detailed information about transferring, please consult the Study in the States website.

Transferring Out Your SEVIS Record

For students transferring from Dominican University to another school, please follow the above steps in reverse. You must request that the DU DSO transfer your SEVIS record to the new school by presenting a Transfer Verification form and acceptance letter and completing the Transfer Out Form (pdf opens in a new window)