Essentials of French Fashion
For Fashion Majors and Minors only
Next Offered: This program is typically offered every Fall and Spring semester, and for one month in the summer
Application Deadlines: Spring travelers : September 10; Fall travelers: March 14; Summer: Contact Professor José Blanco F.
While students are able to apply for future semesters abroad, Dominican will make a decision on whether travel is possible, after the application deadline and before any payments are made.
For more information, contact Professor José Blanco F.
Dominican University / Paris American Academy
STA 393, 394 or 395: Essentials of French Fashion offers apparel majors and minors the opportunity to spend fall or spring semester, or one month during the summer term, in the fashion capital of the world. It will give students an overview of the French fashion industry, an opportunity to become immersed in a specialization from a French fashion perspective, and a hands-on introduction to French language and culture. All classes are held in the historic Latin Quarter.
Visit the Paris American Academy website.
Students will take all coursework at the Paris American Academy (PAA), a bachelor’s degree granting institution offering specializations in fine arts, interior design and fashion. It is registered by the Académie de Paris as a private institution of higher learning. All participants are required to attend classes 4–5 days per week for a minimum of seven hours per day.
- Essentials of French fashion: an overview of the French Fashion Industry, which provides a foundation for each of the specializations
- Design Process
- Couture Practices
- Fashion Merchandising and Communication
- French course at the appropriate level (beginning, intermediate or advanced)
- Students will register for STA 393, 394 or 395
Currently enrolled students may not opt for the satisfactory/unsatisfactory option for this course.
- When this program is offered again, individuals will need to complete an online application form at Dominican
- Two faculty/staff recommendations are required for student applicants
- Once approved, students will complete an application with Paris American Academy. Students submit a mini portfolio, a recommendation from a professor in fashion department, and an official transcript to PAA
- After acceptance, a $500 deposit and a Travel Medical Form signed by a licensed practitioner will be due by the advertised deposit deadline
Cost and Financial Aid
- Semester Programs cost the same as Dominican University Tuition, plus a Study Abroad fee. In 2020, the Study Abroad fee is $800
- PAA application fee: $85 (Student pays this directly to PAA)
- Round trip airfare: $1,400–$1,600 (estimated: students purchase their own flights)
- Meals/personal expenses: $3,800–$4,000 (estimated)
- Supplies/books: $800 (estimated)
- Optional excursions at additional cost
Scholarships and Financial Aid
- State aid, Federal aid, and Dominican scholarships and grants are applicable to a semester abroad, however, the Resident Student Grant does not apply to a semester abroad. Students applying to a summer study program should contact financial aid regarding any aid available.
- All students should apply to Dominican University's Excellence in Experiential Learning Awards (ExcEL) to earn up to $2000 off the cost of the program.
- Pell grant recipients should apply for the Gilman Scholarship, and all students should apply for Fund for Education Abroad Scholarships.
- Students can also consult with Financial Aid regarding their eligibility for additional loans or the Parent Plus Loan.
Requirements and Eligibility
- Open to currently enrolled Dominican University Fashion Majors/Minors only
- Junior or senior status as of start of program
- 2.8 Dominican University GPA
- Recommendation of the fashion department
- Students must attend at least one information session.
- French language courses are not required, however, we encourage interested students to take a French course prior to a semester in Paris
Excursions, Housing and Transportation
Immersion and Excursions
- Administrative staff on site
- One-day orientation and welcome
- Museum visits
- Paris city tour
- Shared apartments for 2–4 students
- Cooking facilities and shared amenities
- Accommodations within one mile radius of classroom building
- Round trip airfare: $1,400–$1,600 (estimated)
For more information, please contact:
Professor José Blanco F.