For descriptions of LIS courses, please refer to the University Bulletin.
The Focused MPS
- Students concentrate on one or two (maximum) areas within LIS
- The focused MPS requires a core of at least five courses (or 15 credit hours) for each area of focus
- Courses may be drawn from SOIS offerings and/or from other graduate programs within Dominican University or (with prior permission) another accredited university.
- Courses taken for a Dominican SOIS certificate of advanced study (post MLIS) taken within five years of admission to the MPS program may be applied to the MPS degree. Only one such previously earned certificate of advanced study may be so applied.
- Up to two new (not previously earned) Dominican SOIS certificates may be earned as part of the focused MPS degree.
- The degree offered for the focused MPS is awarded as, for example, (1) a Master of Professional Studies in Library and Information Science—Youth Literature (one area of focus) or (2) a Master of Professional Studies in Library and Information Science—Archives and Management (two areas of focus), etc.
The Customized Program MPS
- The customized program MPS requires a core of at least five courses (or 15 credit hours) drawn from SOIS offerings
- The remaining five courses (or 15 credit hours) may be drawn from SOIS and/or from other graduate programs within Dominican University graduate programs or (with prior permission) other accredited universities.
- The MPS degree offered for the customized program MPS is awarded as a Master of Professional Studies in Library and Information Science. Specific areas of focus are only listed on the focused version of the MPS degree.