Master of Arts in Education (elevation)
Educators who have completed a teaching endorsement at Dominican University are eligible to apply those credits toward a full Master of Arts in Education degree with just one to three additional semesters of coursework. It is a manageable way for working teachers to take their next big career step. You’ll be able to offer your students the high-quality instruction that will engage them in learning, and you’ll establish your readiness to take on leadership positions in administration or specialty instruction areas.
- Open to teachers who have completed one of Dominican’s endorsement programs
- Apply your endorsement credits to a full master’s in education
- Requires between one and three semesters of coursework, depending on your endorsement
- Courses are selected from School of Education electives
Advance your career in a rewarding field. Request information
What You’ll Learn
You’ve put in the hard work to develop skills and knowledge in a specialty area through our endorsement program. Now, go even further. As a leader in Illinois teacher education, Dominican University is the right place to earn your professional leadership credentials. In Our Master of Arts in Education program, you will select from an extensive array of electives within the School of Education to complete your graduate coursework. Course options range from Technology for Leaders and Coding in Education to Online/Blended Learning and Lesson Planning in Special Education.
In addition to your endorsement work, the full master’s degree offers a strong foundation of professional knowledge, personal insight and appreciation of diversity that teachers need to succeed as classroom leaders and student advocates.
For more details, download our program flyer (pdf)
Quick Degree Details
- Six to 15 credit hours (depending on the endorsement you’ve already earned)
- Courses offered in person only
- Complete in one to three additional semesters
- Approved by the Illinois State Board of Education
Note: Admission to graduate and certificate programs in education is open only to U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
Endorsements Eligible for the Master of Arts in Education (MaED) Completion
- Bilingual Endorsement (four additional courses; 12 additional semester hours required)
- English as a Second Language Endorsement (four additional courses; 12 additional semester hours required)
- Technology Specialist Endorsement (four additional courses; 12 additional semester hours required)
- Learning Behavior Specialist I (five-six additional courses; 15-18 additional semester hours required)
- MaED in Diverse Learners (Learning Behavior Specialist I plus ESL or Bilingual )
- MaED in Inclusive Learning (Learning Behavior Specialist I plus Technology Specialist)
- MaED in Integrated Instruction (ESL or Bilingual plus Technology Specialist)
- MaED in Instructional Technology (Technology Specialist plus 12 graduate credits in technology-related coursework (electives))
To qualify, you’ll need to:
- Have a Professional Educator License (PEL)
- Have completed your endorsement coursework at Dominican
- Have earned a GPA of 3.0 or higher in your endorsement coursework (with no grade lower than a C).
Have questions about the curriculum or course listings in the links above? Request information
What to Expect as you Earn Your Master’s in Education
This program is designed to be fast and flexible enough to meet the needs and advance the aspirations of working teachers. Upon completion of your initial specialty endorsement, master’s candidates will select electives from the School of Education graduate course listing to meet the 30-semester-hour requirement. You can apply all the credits you acquired for your endorsement toward the 30 hours you need for your master’s degree.
About Dominican’s School of Education
Dominican University’s School of Education is committed to preparing teachers and leaders to navigate the changing world of education. We continue to innovate and develop new approaches to teaching and learning to better serve our country’s children and youth. See what sets us apart
Financing Your Master’s in Education
The process for financing a degree can seem daunting, but you do have options. In addition to loans, the School of Education offers a limited number of scholarships and grants. You may apply for them after you are accepted and have registered for your first course. Federal Stafford loans are also available through the Office of Financial Aid. We can help you navigate the process and find options that work for you.
Contact our Office of Financial Aid to learn more. We can be reached at (708) 524-6809 or via email at email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why earn a master’s in education?
Even highly accomplished teachers with many years of experience can benefit greatly from professional development opportunities, including master’s degree programs in education. Teaching is such a rapidly evolving discipline, and mastering the most up-to-date theory and practice will make you a better educator capable of engaging all of your students. An advanced degree can also prepare you to transition into administrative roles and seek other opportunities for promotion with more responsibility and higher earnings. In some districts, just having a master’s automatically qualifies you for a salary increase.
Dominican’s MAEd program offers an efficient and accelerated path for students who completed an endorsement with us to earn their full master’s with just a few additional courses. A full master’s will allow you to clearly establish your authority in your specialty endorsement area.
How is Dominican different?
As a student in our endorsement programs, you are no doubt already familiar with at least some of what sets Dominican apart from other teacher education programs. We are committed to fostering the values of scholarship, leadership and service among teacher candidates and their students. Our courses of study emphasize the acquisition of professional expertise, the expansion of personal insight, and an appreciation of human diversity.
Ready to take the next step? Apply now online
Build Your Career in Education
At Dominican, we are committed to helping you achieve your goals and fulfill a mission of service as a teacher. We’re here to answer your questions and walk you through the process of gaining your Master of Arts in Education. Request information today