The Follett Lecture is given annually each year by the Follett Chair in Library and Information Science, a position established by Dominican University and the Follett Corporation in 2002.
Dr. Lynn Silipigni Connaway, 2023-2024 Follett Chair
New Model Library: Pandemic Effects and Library Directions
A Dominican School of Information Studies Round Table Workshop
Thursday, November 16, 2023
Springer Suites, Rebecca Crown Library
Join fellow alumni and the 2023-2024 Follett Chair for dinner and a round table workshop based on the New Model Library, an OCLC briefing on research into library leaders’ resilience during the pandemic and their visions for an enduring future. Share your own experiences with peers and identify new ideas and directions for your strategic planning using the New Model Library Learning Guide.
Past Follett Chairs and Lectures
- The 2022-2023 Follett Chair, Cutcha Risling Baldy, presented two spring mini-courses and the Follett Lecture, “Grandfather’s Boarding School Journals: An Indigenous Experience Firsthand Account”, in spring 2023.
- The 2020–2022 Follett Chair Ebony Elizabeth Thomas presented "The Shadow Book: Reading Slavery, Fugitivity, and Freedom in Children’s Books and Media"
- The 2020–2021 Follett Chair, Ebony Elizabeth Thomas, and author Renée Watson presented “Fantastic Black Girlhoods: A Conversation with Ebony Elizabeth Thomas and Renée Watson” on March 29, 2021.
- The 2019–2020 Follett Chair, Bernard Reilly, presented "Money, Technology, Politics and the Future of Memory Institutions" on April 20, 2020. Reilly also presented a spring 2020 lecture series: "Memory Institutions and Digital Evidence in a Civil Society."
- The 2018–2019 Follett Chair, Verne Harris, presented "A Time to Remember, A Time to Forget: Fred Hampton, Nelson Mandela and the Work of Memory" on April 16, 2019.
- The 2017–18 Follett Chair, Andrew Dillon, presented “Shaping a Better Information Space: Putting Humans at the Center of Our World” on April 26, 2018.
- The 2016–2017 Follet Chair is David Lankes, who delivered 2017 Lecture, "The Social Responsibility of the Library and the Librarian in a Post-Factual World" on April 12, 2017 with a respondent panel of Nicole A. Cooke, Miguel Figueroa, and Scott Walter.
- The 2014–2016 Follett Chair is Dr. Janice M. Del Negro, who presented "A 'Belligerent Profession:' Telling the Library Story" on April 8, 2015 and "The All-White World of Children's Librarianship: Baker, Rollins, and the Quest for Diversity" on April 13, 2016.
- Mary Minow, Follett Chair from 2012 through 2014, presented "Copyright in the Digital Age" on April 15, 2013, "Ebooks and the Reader" on March 13, 2012, and "The Right to Control? Writing and Publishing Religious Works" with special insights from Sr. Janet Welsh on April 29, 2014.