Skip to main content

Upon admission to Dominican University and receipt of a valid I-20 or DS 2019, an F-1 or J-1 student who is currently outside the U.S and does not have a valid F-1 visa or who has been outside of the U.S. for more than five (5) months must apply for an F-1 visa. The length of the visa will vary depending upon the country of which you are a citizen and length of your period of study. 

Below you will find general information on applying for a visa. Each U.S. Embassy may require additional documents, so be sure to consult the website of the Embassy in your country of origin. You should apply in the country of which you are a citizen. If you apply in a third country, the chances of being denied the visa are greater.

After consulting the website of the appropriate U.S. Embassy, you should make an appointment. Be sure to prepare all required documents before you go for your visa interview. You will have already submitted your visa application form DS-160 online. For instructions on how to complete the DS160, go to Immihelp

You should have the following available at your appointment:

  • A passport valid for at least six months beyond your date of entry
  • One photograph measuring 2” x 2” taken within the last six months
  • A receipt for the visa processing fee
  • All three pages of the I-20 (F-1) or DS 2019 (J-1) Form. This form must bear the signature of Dominican University’s designated school official (DSO) and you must sign and date it on the appropriate line
  • Original financial documents, such as a current bank statement or a scholarship offer from the university, showing that you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses.
  • Transcripts of diplomas and test scores from standardized tests, such as TOEFL, GMAT, ACT, may be required
  • Proof of close ties to your home county to show that you have no intention in immigrating to the United States. U.S. law presumes that all non-immigrant visa applicants have the intent to immigrate and you must convince the consular officer that you will return to your home country upon completion of your studies.
  • Receipt for SEVIS I-901. To pay the (F-1) or (J-1) fee, go to ICE SEVIS Fee. Note: proposed fee increase in process
  • Visa application form DS-160, submitted online

Learn more details on applying for a visa.