Skip to main content

If you are currently in the U.S. in a visa status other than F-1, you may change your status to F-1 after you have been accepted and have submitted all financial documents. You can change your status in different ways:

You may opt to return to your home country with a new I-20 issued by the designated school official (DSO) at Dominican University. You will then follow the directions for obtaining an F-1 visa and re-enter the U.S. in F-1 status. This is recommended as you do not have to wait for US CIS to adjudicate your petition for change of status and you will be immediately in F-1 status upon entry.  It is becoming increasingly difficult to get change of status approved. If you choose to do change of status through US CIS, please download the information sheet (pdf).

If you are currently in H1-b status and wish to change to F-1, please contact the (DSO)  for instructions.

If you are the spouse or child of an F-1 student at Dominican and wish to change to F-2, please contact the DSO for instructions.