Accomplished majors in the departmennt of French and Italian Studies who meet the requirements will be invited to join an honor society.
French and Francophone Studies
Dominican’s Alpha Tau chapter of Pi Delta Phi, the national honor society for French, has been active since 1951. Membership requirements are:
- Completion of at least one course of upper-division French (i.e., beyond the intermediate-level series of courses)
- 3.0 GPA in French
- 2.8 GPA overall
- Ranking in the top 35 percent of the class
- Sophomore standing
Gamma Kappa Alpha, the national Italian honor society, encourages college students to acquire a greater interest in, and a deeper understanding of, Italian culture, art and history. On a national level, the organization recognizes outstanding undergraduate scholarship in the field of Italian with the annual Gamma Kappa Alpha Award for Scholarship.
Dominican’s chapter of Gamma Kappa Alpha has been active since 1976. Membership is offered to students who meet the following criteria:
- Completion of at least two courses in Italian beyond the intermediate level
- Junior or senior standing
- A B average in Italian coursework
- Upper 35 percent of class
- Active engagement in the study of, or research in, Italian language and literature