First Year Experience
The First Year Experience (FYE) is central to new students’ transition to Dominican. We help students create a foundation of support that will accompany them through graduation.
Our programming includes:
- Welcome Weekend: Bilingual (English and Spanish) programming for the whole family to learn about our extensive resources, meet faculty, staff and students, and enjoy the beautiful campus.
- First Year Seminar (FYS): Taught by your faculty advisor to create a clear path of whom to ask for help. Embedded in your FYS is a Peer LEADer, an upper-class student who provides mentoring and peer advising.
The FYE Curriculum covers several topics to ease the transition to college:
- Identity/Locus of Control
- College Learning Strategies
- Time Management
- Vocational Exploration
- Caring for Self and Others, and
- Financial Literacy.
We conduct several FYE Surveys to screen for support needs and then follow-up is provided from the Student Care Network. This is a team of holistic support professionals that address concerns such as: academic support, financial stress, mental/physical health needs, technology and more.
Already a first-year student at DU? Learn more.