Credit for Prior Learning
Prior Learning Assessment - Earn College Credit for What You Already Know
We understand that adult students often bring a wealth of work, life and learning experiences with them to the classroom. The College of Applied Social Sciences (CASS) enables students to earn college credit toward one of our bachelor’s degree programs by proving competencies through Prior Learning Assessment (PLA).
What is PLA?
PLA demonstrates your learning through work and life experiences. It also allows you to describe and present evidence of your past learning that meets the course competencies at Dominican University.
How It Works
- Enroll in one of our Bachelor of Professional Studies (BPS) degree programs.
- Take a free, self-paced online PLA course.
- Portfolio charges apply but only if the portfolio (varying credit value) is approved for credit.
- Identify and document your experiences and learning.
- Analyze and present evidence of how your past learning aligns with Dominican course competencies.
- Receive up to 28 credit hours of ACE, CLEP and PLA, combined.
Earning college credit for what you already know is also a confirmation of the value of the life experiences you bring to the classroom and the workforce. Graduating with a bachelor's degree from Dominican, a respected, accredited university recognized for excellence in academics, will position you for professional success. For more information, please email Monica Halloran or call (708) 524-6054.