- Study Abroad
- Blackfriars Oxford, England
- El Salvador
- Fanjeaux, France
- Florence, Italy
- Ghana, Africa
- Guatemala – International Service
- Limerick, Ireland
- London, England
- Milan, Italy
- Paris, France
- Poitiers, France
- Port-au-Prince Haiti – International Service
- Rome, Italy
- Salamanca, Spain
- Salzburg, Austria
- Stellenbosch, South Africa
- Important Dates
- Important Links
- Insurance & Financial Aid
- Suggested Courses
International Service in Guatemala
International Service in Guatemala
Next Offered: January Interim 2015
The Study Abroad Guatemala program works in partnership with the San Lucas Tolimán Mission community. The primary objective, motivation, purpose, and reason for coming is to learn. We share in the San Lucas mission’s dedication to learning from, respecting, growing in solidarity with, and lending gracious support to the people of San Lucas and the Mission’s project of sustainable, integral human development. Our Dominican group will lend support to the San Lucas Parish mission, that is, the project of integral human development guided by the expressed-felt need of the Parish community and the people of San Lucas Tolimán, and grounded in the principals of Catholic Social Teaching. The service we will do provides options like: building new stoves, reforestation project, working with the Women’s Group, helping with the Children’s groups, etc.
International Service Learning makes a unique contribution to building global awareness, global partnerships and world peace. International Service Learning helps Dominican students, faculty and staff live the mission in a unique way as we "participate in the creation of a more just and humane world.” In partnership with San Lucas Tolimán, our students serve with the people of Guatemala, while learning about their social, cultural, historical, economic, political, and religious history and current reality.
STA 299 is a stand-alone course for one credit for which students will register during the January Interim term. There is no additional tuition charge. If a student wishes to apply this credit to a major, they would need the written approval of their major advisor. This course meets the Multi-Cultural requirement.
Requirements for one-credit:
- Attend pre- and post-trip classes and orientations
- Keep a journal
- Participate in the reflective learning process in country
- Participate in all in-country events
- Present a post-trip program for DU community
- Currently enrolled students may not opt for the satisfactory/unsatisfactory option for this course
- Complete short-term application packet: application form, two letters of recommendation and medical form.
- Deadline: October 24, 2013
- For more information, please contact MaDonna Thelen at firstname.lastname@example.org (708) 524-6425
Includes housing, group excursions, three meals per day and airfare:
- Currently enrolled Dominican University students: TBA
- Auditors: $1,950 (includes auditing fee)
- Please note that any increases in fuel surcharges or taxes which occur up to the time of ticketing will be paid by the participant.
- Due to fluctuation in exchange rates, the cost of the program is subject to change
Scholarships and Financial Aid
- State, federal and Dominican aid is applicable
- Students: By studying abroad, you may have additional options for funding assistance. Please see a Dominican University Financial Aid Officer as soon as the application deadline has passed.
- Freshman, sophomore, junior, senior or qualified adult
- 2.5 GPA at Dominican
- Students must attend at least one information session
Under no circumstances will students be permitted to travel independently. All excursion and site visits will be with the group and directors.
Housing will be at local hotels who work in partnership with the San Lucas Tolimán Mission adjacent to the mission. All accommodations are group setting and with shared bathroom facility. Meals will be provided.
Group flight arranged by program directors who will accompany the group. In-country transportation is provided by a pre-arranged driver.