Academic Enrichment Center
Welcome to the Academic Enrichment Center
The Academic Enrichment Center (AEC) is a supportive learning commons where students can step beyond the comfortable routines of the classroom and actively shape their education and their lives. The AEC's four units provide students opportunities to become the intellectual, professional, and publicly engaged individuals they wish to be.
Excellence in Experiential Learning (ExcEL) Scholar Awards
The Excellence in Experiential Learning (ExcEL) Scholar Awards support Dominican University students who have specific plans for hands-on learning experiences and are seeking funds to bridge the gap between the cost of those experiences and their current financial means. Students may apply for up to $2000 to fund:
- Study Abroad, Study Away, or Alternative Break Immersion program fees;
- Travel-related expenses (plane ticket, room and board, immunizations);
- Stipends that cover living expenses for unpaid internships or research projects;
- Research or project materials
Eligibility: The Academic Enrichment Center welcomes applications for the ExcEL Scholar Awards from all current Dominican University undergraduate students who have:
- earned at least 45 credits toward their degrees (at least 15 earned at DU),
- achieved a grade point average that meets the requirements of the program they wish to pursue,
- are applying to fund an experience that takes place between July 1, 2016 and June 30, 2017, and
- have identified a faculty or staff sponsor to review and endorse their proposal in writing.
Application: Strong applications for the ExcEL Scholar Awards will make meaningful connections between the proposed experience and the applicant’s future plans, offer well-explained learning goals, and propose a realistic budget. Students’ financial need will also be given consideration in consultation with the Office of Financial Aid.
April 19, 2016
May 20, 2016
Thursday 3/17 -- 2:30-3:20pm -- Parmer 113
Monday 3/21 -- 4:00-4:50pm -- Parmer 113
Thursday 3/31 -- 2:30-3:20pm -- Library 320
Divisions of the AEC
Literacy and Learning Resources provides a range of tutoring and academic support services.
Career Development provides students with career advising, workshops, internship opportunities, and other strategies for building a rewarding life beyond their years at Dominican.
Global and Civic Engagement houses International Student Advising and Study Abroad, and offers students opportunities to cross cultural and national boundaries, deepen their civic literacy and engage as active citizens of the world.
Research and Creativity encourages students' creative expression and opportunities to pursue independent scholarship and collaborative research with each other and faculty members.
Come visit us in Parmer 010
Staff of the AEC
Director, Career Development
Associate Director, Career Development
Director, International Studies and Study Abroad
Learning Disability Specialist
Office Manager, AEC