Green Block Party
The communities of Oak Park, River Forest, Forest Park and Elmwood Park are vibrant sources of sustainability initiatives and “green” engagement.
In an effort to celebrate this focus on the environment, Dominican University is hosting a multi-community Green Block Party.
Activities and events will include:
- A Farmers Market featuring vendors such as:
- A Green Market featuring vendors and businesses such as:
- From 2:30 to 4:30 p.m., West Cook Wild Ones will offer a presentation on shade gardening with native species by award-winning garden designer Patricia Hill.
- Children’s craft activities
- Cooking demonstration by Dominican University nutrition students
- Discussions on weatherizing your home and saving energy
- Composting and recycling demonstrations
- Bike collection by Working Bikes, a nonprofit organization that gives old bikes new homes in Africa and Latin America. Bring your old bike!
- The Repair Café, a local organization of volunteers who repair home appliances and toys. Give your old stuff a new lease on life!
- Artwork and jewelry made of found objects and recycled materials by Lisa Nordstrom of Art Gecko
- Bring your supper for a community picnic in the university Quad—lemonade and iced tea provided by the university
You are invited to bring your own bring your own picnic to enjoy on the university Quad. At 6 p.m., all are invited to a special screening of the family-friendly movie FernGully: The Last Rainforest (1992) in the Lund Auditorium.
Check back to this website often for updated information on additional events and activities and links to sustainable resources.
Contact Jessica Mackinnon, firstname.lastname@example.org, for additional information.