Physical Sciences Programs
This curriculum is structured to provide a broad base of knowledge in the biological sciences and collateral areas as well as to allow the student to best prepare for his or her chosen field of work in the biological or health sciences or in biology education. Courses offered for students not majoring in biology are designed to give a fundamental understanding of selected areas of biology, particularly as they relate to human health and disease.
Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical Studies
If you’ve already earned a bachelor’s degree and would like further preparation before pursuing graduate medical education, consider Dominican’s Post-baccalaureate Pre-medical Studies Program.
We offer the opportunity to take pre-requisite and advanced course work as well as an opportunity for a specialized second bachelor’s degree, the Bachelor of Medical Science degree (BMS).
Either option meets the prerequisites for a variety of advanced degree programs, including:
- Medical Doctor (MD)
- Doctor of Osteopathy (DO)
- Doctor of Dentistry (DDS)
- Doctor of Chiropractic (DC)
- Physician Assistant (PA)
- Master of Science (MS)
- Master of Arts (MA)
The curriculum offers qualified students a combination of classroom and laboratory instruction and hands-on clinical experience at a local hospital. Members of the science faculty customize the curriculum to fit the needs of each individual student.
Admission to this program is competitive. Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a minimum GPA of 3.25. They must have earned a minimum GPA of 2.75 in previous college science courses.
Interested students must submit an official application that includes:
- A formal statement of interest;
- An official transcript from the degree-conferring institution;
- Two letters of recommendation, at least one of which must be from a person able to evaluate the student’s academic performance; and
- A current resume.
If you meet these requirements, you will be contacted for a faculty representative interview.
The premedical program offers a rigorous core curriculum:
- Two-semester sequence of general biology
- Two-semester sequence of general chemistry
- Two-semester sequence of organic chemistry
- Two-semester sequence of physics
- Two-semester sequence of advanced anatomy and advanced physiology
- One-semester course in biomedical ethics
The program also offers exclusive courses specifically created for post-bachelor level students:
- Clinical internship
- Clinical behavioral medicine
- Advanced pathophysiology
- Advanced anatomy cadaver dissection
- Topics in Medicine
- MCAT preparation
Dominican is an active member of the Associated Colleges of the Chicago Area. Accordingly, the university offers credit for cooperative courses taught at various other member institutions. Offerings include:
- Marine ecology at the Shedd Aquarium
- Advanced botany at the Morton Arboretum
- Environmental topics at Argonne National Laboratory
Guest lecturers, who are experts in the particular subject, teach these courses. There are also cooperative seminar courses given at ACCA member universities in a variety of advanced scientific topics.