Criminal Background Checks and Drug Screening
- Submitted background checks from Castlebranch.com will be accepted no more than one year from the submitted application for the 2017 Dominican University BSN Program application cycle.
- All applicants MUST register for services by visiting Castlebranch.com and enter Package Code: DD68 for Dominican University and please choose option “Nursing Applicants."
- If you have a felony conviction of any kind and have questions on whether you can obtain a license to practice nursing, complete the form (a request for a Non-Binding Advisory Opinion) on the IDFPR web link http://www.idfpr.com/Forms/F2035.pdf
- Once you have completed the form, include supporting documents, and send to:
Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation
Division of Professional Regulation
Office of the General Counsel
320 W. Washington – 3rd Floor
Springfield, IL 62786
- Please review: Section 1300.100: Refusal to Issue a Nurse License Based on Criminal History Record http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/068/068013000A01000R.html
- Illinois statue prohibits health care employers from knowingly hiring, employing, or retaining any individual in a position with duties involving, or that may involve, direct patient care or the care of residents, who has been convicted of certain criminal offenses (225 ILCS 46.25).
- The Dominican University BSN Program has affiliate agreements with clinical agencies and other healthcare institutions to provide clinical experiences for nursing students as part of the nursing program curriculum and to meet IDFPR clinical hour requirements.
As a nursing student of the BSN Program, you are obligated to comply with the following:
- Students must submit to a criminal background check both prior to entering the program and beginning the second year clinical rotational schedule to progress within the program.
- Students must submit to a 10-panel drug screening after admission into the program and prior to beginning the second year clinical rotational schedule.
- Students may be asked to submit to a criminal background check and/or 10-panel drug screen by any clinical site and will need to comply with the request to continue your rotation with the site.
- The results of the background check and drug screening may determine your acceptance and/or continued eligibility to remain in the program and/or to enter clinical sites.
- The background checks are required at the student’s expense.
- Information gathered from a criminal background check may be the basis to discontinue an applicant’s candidacy for admission into the program and/or may be the basis for dismissal from the program at any time.
- Students are required to sign a Student Statement of Release Form and approve that Dominican share drug screen and background results with clinical sites upon their request.
- Some clinical sites may do an expanded background check, which may conflict with the results of the student’s original results. (See Illinois State Law 225 ILCS 46/25 and IL Adm. Code 955.160 for disqualifying conditions). This will be at the student’s expense.
- Requests for copies of criminal background checks can be made by logging onto Castlebranch.com. Dominican does not provide copies to applicants and/or students of their criminal background check results.
- Although a nursing student may not possess a social security number during their studies as a nursing student, the State Board of Nursing (IDFPR) may require the graduate to possess one in order to sit for the NCLEX-RN examination and be granted licensure to practice nursing.
- Only one (1) online application will be accepted per nursing applicant.
- Students desiring to reapply to the nursing program must do so within one year of exiting the program and will be evaluated for program placement based on current program requirements.
- Readmission is not guaranteed.
- Applicants are encouraged to attend one (1) BSN Program information session.
Before continuing to complete the Dominican University BSN Program Fall 2017
Confirm that you have met the requirements listed below:
- I certify that I have completed or will complete by the and of spring of 2017 all nursing program pre-requisite courses.
- I certify that I have obtained a cumulative grade point average of 2.75 or higher.
- I certify that I have completed the required criminal background check.
- I certify that I have completed the ATI TEAS V examination.
- Dominican University Fall 2017 Program Application.