History is a well-rounded degree program and our current history majors have big plans, including - law school, politics, teaching, the military, graduate school, museum studies, public history, library science, social work, working for local, state, or federal government, and the FBI. You can do anything with a history degree!
Famous History Majors include - Presidents Kennedy, Nixon, and Bush; the U.S. Attorney General; many senators, members of congress, and judges; sports agents; many former and current Fortune 500 CEOs; Sacha Baron Cohen; Conan O'Brien; Steve Carell; Jimmy Buffett; Malcolm Gladwell; and so many more. Click the links to see others.
Here is what some of our graduates are doing now:
- Teaching: Schools continue to need new history and social studies teachers, particularly those who can teach in areas beyond American history when needed. Many students have found this program dovetails well with the programs in Dominican’s School of Education, too.
- Law School: Because of its emphasis on asking questions and drawing conclusions based on past behavior or events, history is a great pre-law major.
- Business: Many general employers realize that history majors have learned to know which questions should be asked and, often, how to figure out the answers. These are general skills that adapt well to many work settings, even when the major’s content may not be directly applicable to the company’s business. In short, history majors tend to be quick studies on the job.
- Information-oriented Work Settings: Museums, archives and historical societies can be viable, but competitive choices for history graduates. The history degree is excellent preparation for applying to Dominican’s Graduate School of Library and Information Science.
- Government Service: Professional jobs can be found at many governmental agencies that have varying levels of emphasis on history. With foreign language preparation, some Dominican graduates have joined the U.S. Foreign Service.
- Graduate School in History: For those who want to enter academia, graduate school in history will be essential training.