Freshmen Merit Scholarships for academic achievement and leadership qualities range from $7,500 - $15,000 annually and are renewable for a maximum of three years. These scholarships are awarded regardless of financial need and are determined at the time the student is accepted. For students accepted to Dominican University after June 1, awards are subject to availability of funds.
Alice Welsh Skilling Scholarship
For Freshmen and Transfer Students Majoring in the visual arts.
The visual arts majors are painting/drawing, photography, graphic design, sculpture and art education. Scholarships are $7,500 a year for up to four years for freshmen and two years for transfer students.
To apply, submit the following no later than March 1:
- Alice Welsh Skilling Scholarship Application
- A portfolio of your artwork for review by the department faculty (a CD of no more than 20 digital images is the encouraged format. Name the files numerically in the sequence you would like them seen, followed by your first initial and last name: 001.JSanchez.jpg, 002.JSanchez.jpg, etc. Jpeg files only, 1000 pixels on the longest side).
- An essay indicating your plan to major in one of the visual arts and what you plan to do with your major
- A letter of recommendation from a visual arts teacher
Borra Nursing Scholarship
Nursing students who have been admitted into the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) Program are invited to apply for the Borra Nursing Scholarship created by the Borra Family Foundation. This scholarship is highly competitive, intended to attract highly capable and talented students who, upon graduating and obtaining a position in the field of nursing, will exemplify and promote the excellence of Dominican’s BSN Program
- Scholarship applies to undergraduate transfer and existing Dominican University students accepted into the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) Program.
- Scholarship award of up to $10,000 per year is available to full-time nursing students, and up to $20,000 per full-time nursing students in the aggregate (junior and senior years combined) at Dominican University. This scholarship is in addition to, and does not replace, any other financial aid for which the student is awarded by Dominican or other sources.
Scholarship Initial Requirements
- Complete the Borra Nursing Scholarship Application.
- Minimum college/university cumulative grade point average of 3.3 on 4 point scale.
- Minimum ATI TEAS V composite score of 70%.
- Matriculation into Dominican University and accepted into its BSN Program
- Commit to full-time enrollment (minimum of 12 credit hours/semester).
Scholarship Renewal Requirements
- Progression in nursing program in good academic standing and no repeated courses
- Continued full-time enrollment (minimum of 12 credit hours/semester).
- Maintenance of a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on 4 point scale.
- File a FAFSA by February 15 each year (Federal School Code: 001750).
Scholarship Application Process
Obtain a scholarship application online or from the Nursing Office located in Parmer Hall 402 and submit the completed and signed form to Dr. Debra Gurney, Executive Director of the BSN Program postmarked by July 1, 2014. Scholarship awards will be announced by July 25, 2014.
Catholic High School Scholarship
Graduates of Catholic high schools receive a $2,500 renewable scholarship.
Family allowances of $1,000 per student are available when a full-time Dominican University student has a sibling who is also attending full-time or has a sibling that graduated from Dominican University’s undergraduate program.
Ida Brechtel Scholarship
For Freshmen and Transfer Students Majoring in Chemistry or Biology-Chemistry.
Students who are planning to major in chemistry or in biology-chemistry and have qualified for one of our top merit scholarships, are invited to apply. Scholarships are $7,500 a year for up to four years for freshmen and two years for transfer students.
- Minimum 25 ACT score
- 3.3/4.0 GPA
To apply, submit the following no later than February 15
- Ida Brechtel Scholarship Application
- A 200-300 word essay explaining your decision to major in chemistry or biology-chemistry, and how it applies to your future career plans.
- An up-to-date official high school or college transcript
Renewable awards of $2,000 are available to children and grandchildren of Dominican University graduates. Awards are for full-time undergraduate students pursuing their first bachelor's degree.
(Students from Under-represented Communities College Enrichment Scholarship)
Membership in a college enrichment group/organization with recommendation may receive a $2,500 renewable scholarship.