Required Writing Assessment
All new students are required to take the online Writing Assessment. Please review the dates below based on your confirmed SOAR Date.
|SOAR Date||Exam Opens||Exam Closes|
|June 3||May 22||May 28|
|June 28||June 20||June 25|
|July 29||July 21||July 24|
|August 22||Will be taken on August 22|
Which test should you take?
If you have already completed the composition sequence (the equivalent of Dominican’s English 101/102), you will take the Intermediate Composition (IC) Exam.
- If you are taking the IC Exam, you must first carefully read and annotate the article "Faculty Members Are Not Cashiers" by David M. Perry. The IC Exam will ask you to answer questions based on the reading, so you must complete the reading before beginning the exam. Once you begin the exam, you will have 90 minutes to complete it.
- The IC Exam determines whether you will be placed into English 190: Intermediate Composition.
- If you do not complete the Writing Assessment prior to your SOAR date, you will be required to take English 190.
If you have not yet taken any college level composition courses, you will take the First-Year Composition (FC) Exam.
- If you are taking the FC Exam, you do not need to prepare anything prior to taking the test. Once you begin the exam, you will have 75 minutes to complete it.
- If you do not complete the Writing Assessment prior to your SOAR date, you will not be allowed to attend SOAR and will have to reschedule for a later SOAR session.
If you have already taken English 101 (or its equivalent) but have not yet taken English 102 (or its equivalent), you do not need to take a placement exam. You will be placed automatically into the next course in the sequence.
Academic Integrity Statement
Students of Dominican University must conduct themselves in accordance with the highest standards of academic honesty and integrity. Failure to maintain academic integrity is detrimental to the values of Dominican, which prepares students to pursue truth and participate in the creation of a more just and humane world. All members of the Dominican community share the responsibility for creating the conditions of truth and justice. Therefore, any instance of academic dishonesty will not be tolerated. You must take this online placement exam without any assistance and to the best of your ability. By taking the exam, you have agreed to these conditions. Individuals who are found to have committed academic dishonesty will be sanctioned; the highest penalty for academic dishonesty is academic dismissal.
You will receive an email from Angela Frazier, Assistant Dean of Advising Services, to confirm the appropriate test to take. If you would like to contact Angela Frazier, she can be reached at (708) 524-6586 or firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would have questions about the placement exam, please contact Sheila Bauer-Gatsos, Director of Composition, at (708) 524-6547 or email@example.com.