Required Writing Assessment
Incoming students will be required to take one of two writing assessment tests. Students attending SOAR on December 14 will take their assessment test online between December 4 – 8. Students attending SOAR in January will take their assessment test on campus on the day of their orientation.
Which test should you take?
If you have already completed the composition sequence (the equivalent of Dominican’s English 101/102), you will take the Intermediate Composition (IC) Exam.
- If you are taking the IC Exam, you must first carefully read and annotate the article “Outsourcing: Bigger Than You Thought” by Alan S. Blinder. The IC Exam will ask you to answer questions based on the reading, so you must complete the reading before beginning the exam. Once you begin the exam, you will have 90 minutes to complete it.
- The IC Exam determines whether you will be placed into English 190: Intermediate Composition.
If you have not yet taken any college level composition courses, you will take the First-Year Composition (FC) Exam.
- This course will determine your placement within our first-year composition sequence.
- If you are taking the FC Exam, you do not need to prepare anything prior to taking the test. Once you begin the exam, you will have 75 minutes to complete it.
If you have already taken English 101 (or its equivalent) but have not yet taken English 102 (or its equivalent), you do not need to take a placement exam.
- You will be placed automatically into the next course in the sequence.
- If you are attending the December 14 SOAR program and do not complete the Writing Assessment between December 4 – 8, you will be required to take English 190.
Academic Integrity Statement
Students of Dominican University must conduct themselves in accordance with the highest standards of academic honesty and integrity. Failure to maintain academic integrity is detrimental to the values of Dominican, which prepares students to pursue truth and participate in the creation of a more just and humane world. All members of the Dominican community share the responsibility for creating the conditions of truth and justice. Therefore, any instance of academic dishonesty will not be tolerated. You must take this online placement exam without any assistance and to the best of your ability. By taking the exam, you have agreed to these conditions. Individuals who are found to have committed academic dishonesty will be sanctioned; the highest penalty for academic dishonesty is academic dismissal.
You will receive an email from Angela Frazier, Assistant Dean of Advising Services, to confirm the appropriate test to take. If you would like to contact Angela Frazier, she can be reached at (708) 524-6586 or email@example.com. If you would have questions about the placement exam, please contact Sheila Bauer-Gatsos, Director of Composition, at (708) 524-6547 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download the reading.
Logging in to myDU for your Writing Assessment
English placement exam tutorial