Stellenbosch, South Africa
AIFS: Stellenbosch, South Africa
Next Offered: First semester (July 7-November 15, 2017); Second semester (January 13-June 6, 2018)
Stellenbosch is a university town of 90,000 people in the most beautiful part of South Africa. The town and university is surrounded by spectacular mountain ranges and vineyards. Residents and students enjoy easy access to Cape Town, a 30-minute drive and a crossroads of cultures, languages and oceans. Safety and security are statistically higher than in large cities. Visit the AIFS web site: AIFS in Stellenbosch
Participation in the program fulfills Dominican University's foundation requirement: Language and Culture and the Multicultural requirement. Selected courses may fulfill other area requirements.
- Coursework: Students enroll in selected English language courses at the University of Stellenbosch.
- Service Learning Certificate offered as option
- Area requirements
Follow the travels of Dominican University student Lauren as she blogs about her South Africa study abroad experience in Fall 2015!
Completed application packet deadlines:
- Fall 2017 semester: April 1, 2017
- Spring 2018 semester: October 1, 2017
All applications are reviewed by Dominican University's Study Abroad Committee. For more information, please contact Sue Ponremy, director of international studies, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (708) 524-6965.
Program fees (2017-18) include tuition, housing and meal allowance, excursions, round trip airfare from Chicago, health insurance, fuel surcharge.
- Full year $33,500
- Semester $17,250
- Non-refundable application fee $95
- Damage deposit $250/semester (refundable).
- Additional meals $2000/semester
- Vacation travel outside group excursions additional.
Due to fluctuation of exchange rates, the cost of the program is subject to change.
Scholarships and Financial Aid
- State, federal and Dominican financial aid is applicable.
- Students: By studying abroad, you may have additional options for funding assistance. Please see a Dominican University Financial Aid Officer.
AIFS scholarships for qualified students
- Generation Study Abroad ($1000 each)
- Open only to currently enrolled Dominican University students.
- 2.7 DU GPA
- Junior or senior standing
- Students must attend at least one information session and one orientation session.
- Garden Route tour (6 days)
- Visit to Cedarberg Mountains (optional, $195)
- Visit to Kalahari Desert with safari (optional,, $545)
- Volunteer work in a township community
- Extra-curricular university activities, such as sports, chorus, theater and dance
- Students choose between a residence hall or communal housing
- Vacation periods not included
- Round trip group flight included in program fees.