Essentials of French Fashion
*For Apparel Majors and Minors only
Next Offered: July 2-28, 2015
Dominican University / Paris American Academy
STA 395: Essentials of French Fashion offers apparel majors and minors provides the opportunity to spend one month in Paris, the fashion capital of the world. It will give students an overview of the French fashion industry, an opportunity to become immersed in a specialization from a French fashion perspective, and a hands-on introduction to the French language and culture. All classes are held in the historic Latin Quarter. Visit the PAA website: Paris American Academy
Students will take all coursework at the Paris American Academy, a bachelor’s degree granting institution offering specializations in Fine Arts, Interior Design and Fashion. It is registered by the Académie de Paris as a private institution of higher learning. All participants are required to attend classes 4-5 days per week for a minimum of 7 hours per day.
- Essentials of French fashion: an overview of the French Fashion Industry which provides a foundation for each of the specializations (3 credits)
Specializations: (3 credits)
- Design Process
- Couture Practices
- Fashion Merchandizing and Communication
- Survival French
- Students will register for STA 395
Currently enrolled students may not opt for the satisfactory/unsatisfactory option for this course.
- Completed application form of Paris American Academy + mini portfolio
- Recommendation by professor in Apparel department
- All application materials must be turned in to the AEC
- Deadline to submit to Tracy Jennings for approval: January 19, 2015
- Deadline to submit to AEC: January 26, 2015
For more information, please contact Sue Ponremy, director international studies, at email@example.com or call (708) 524-6965.
- 2015 Program fees: $5,950 (includes $300 non-refundable application fee, tuition, shared apartment housing, health insurance, group visits, 2 banquets, Dominican University administrative fee)
- Round trip airfare: $1,600-1,8(estimated)
- Meals/personal expenses: $1,000-$1100 (estimated)
- Supplies/books: $300 (estimated)
- Optional excursions at additional cost
Due to fluctuation of exchange rates, the cost of the program is subject to change.
Scholarships and Financial Aid
- Federal and Dominican aid is applicable
- Students: By studying abroad, you may have additional options for funding assistance. Please see a Dominican University Financial Aid Officer.
- Open to currently enrolled Dominican University apparel students only
- Junior or senior status as of start of program
- 2.8 DU GPA
- Apparel majors and minors only
- Recommendation of Apparel department
- Students must attend at least one information session.
Immersion and Excursions
- Administrative staff on site
- One-day orientation and welcome
- Museum visits
- Paris city tour
- Shared apartments for 2-4 students
- Cooking facilities and shared amenities
- Accommodations within one mile radius of classroom building
- Single supplement of $800
- Round trip airfare: $1,600-1,800 (estimated)