- Study Abroad
- Blackfriars Oxford, England
- El Salvador
- Fanjeaux, France
- Florence, Italy
- Ghana, Africa
- Guatemala - Community-Based Learning
- Limerick, Ireland
- London, England
- Milan, Italy
- Paris, France
- Poitiers, France
- Port-au-Prince Haiti - Community-based Learning
- Rome, Italy
- Salamanca, Spain
- Salzburg, Austria
- Stellenbosch, South Africa
- Important Dates
- Important Links
- Insurance & Financial Aid
- Suggested Courses
AIFS: Limerick, Ireland
Next offered: Fall semester (August 30, 2014-December 20, 2014)
County Limerick is quiet farming land dotted with ruins of hundreds of castles. The beautiful Shannon River winds through the city of Limerick and the University campus. It is Ireland's third-largest city and the capital of the Midwest region. Limerick boasts the Belltable Arts Center, Old English Town and its Irish counterpart across the river, as well as the riverside walk past King John's Castle. Within a day's excursion are the counties of Galway, Clare, Cork, Tipperary and Kerry. This opportunity is offered through the American Institute For Foreign Study (AIFS).
The University of Limerick is one of Ireland’s (and Europe’s) newest universities. Its park-like campus is three miles from the city on the banks of the river Shannon. Academically linked with 230 other universities, it has adopted many ideas from American universities and has benefited from American benefactors through its foundation. International students are fully integrated into the student body, taking the same lecture courses and tutorials with the same assessments as Irish students.
Although study abroad students are treated like typical Irish students, they have an advantage: greater freedom of choice in selecting their program of study. They may choose from a wide range of courses in all areas and register across faculties and departments—business, education, engineering, humanities, science, and computer science (informatics and electronics).
Currently enrolled students may not opt for the satisfactory/unsatisfactory option for any courses. Transcript is issued by AIFS.
Acceptance in courses is subject only to academic prerequisites, scheduling constraints and limits on enrollment. You must have approval from your Dominican advisor or relevant department in order to get credit in the major/minor/core requirement.
Visit the AIFS web site: AIFS in Limerick
Completed application packet deadline:
- Fall semester 2014: May 1, 2014
- Spring semester 2015: October 1, 2014
All applications are reviewed by Dominican University's Study Abroad Committee.
For more information, please contact Sue Ponremy, director of international studies, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (708) 524-6965.
- Program fees: (includes tuition, housing and meal allowance, excursions, round trip airfare from Chicago, subject to change).
- Full year $34,880
- Semester $17,940
- Non-refundable application fee $95
- Damage deposit $250/semester (refundable).
- Personal expenses $250 to $350/month (estimated).
- Vacation travel outside group excursions additional.
Scholarships and Financial Aid
- State, federal and Dominican aid is applicable.
- Students: By studying abroad, you may have additional options for funding assistance. Please see a Dominican University Financial Aid Officer as soon as possible.
- AIFS scholarships for qualified students
• International (up to 100 scholarships of $1,000 each)
- 2.9 DU GPA
- Junior/senior standing
- Students must attend at least one information session.
- Day trip to Western Ireland
- Two day trip to Aran Islands
- Three day trip to Dublin
- Three day stopover in London (AIFS flight package)
- Extra-curricular university activities, such as sports, chorus, theater, dance.
- Student Village” townhouses; one or two US students share with six or seven Irish or other international students. Single rooms and shared kitchen, living room and bathroom facilities.
- Meal allowance for one meal per weekday in University cafeteria included; cooking facilities in each housing unit
- Vacation periods not included
- Round trip group flight included in program fees. Three day stopover in London included in round trip flight
- Group flight met by staff for bus transfer to Limerick